Monday, October 27, 2008

The EXPRESS

-Waste-
-Rent it Later-
-See it on the Big Screen-
-Leave Now-


Dennis Quaid and Rob Brown star in a heartwarming but non-engaging sports movie.

I had expected good things from this movie and it delivered only half of what I expected. The acting was good. Dennis Quaid did especially well as the coach of the Syracuse Orangemen. Rob Brown's acting however was not to the same level. This movie was lacking in plot and storyline. The audience already knows the young Ernie Davis becomes a good football player, that he will face hardship, and that he will win the Heisman Trophy long before the end of the movie. The thin storyline in this movie does not get much thicker than that basic premise.

SPOILER WARNING

At the end of the story, doctors diagnose Ernie Davis with Leukemia. The thread leading to this fact is really the only interesting storyline. Ernie's grandfather also dies in the middle of the film but, although heartbreaking, his death was not unexpected.

You can read a well-balanced review at the Amphibuos Sports Duo or find out what other viewers thought at Fandango.

EXPECTATIONS:
-WHO?-
-I think I'll take a Nap-
-Sounds Good-

-I Had to See it-


ACTING:

-Get a DAY JOB-
-Ive Seen Worse-
-Decent-
-Real Enough-
-I Was Convinced-
-Was that Real?-

PLOT:
-Shallower Than a Puddle-
-Just Enough-
-Just Right-
-I'm Lost-
-I'm Drowning!-

Links:
See the Official Site
See the Rotten Tomatoes Rating
Get the entire movie spoiled at Wikipedia

No comments: